Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Christmas Sewing

Now that Christmas is past, I can post pictures of my Christmas sewing. I had the big idea of making quilts for all my nieces and nephews (R, your quilt is in the finishing stages and will be sent to you soon). I enjoy the piecing. I think it is putting the fabric together and watching how it all comes together. I am actually beginning to enjoy the machine quilting except I need to work on getting the back tighter so I don't get tucks. I spent many weeks at Miss K's therapy session sewing the binding on the quilts.

E has a nice girly quilt that I made when she was a baby. I am guessing that one would have been pieced in Taiwan as that was where I was living. I know there is a doll quilt that matches it. I decided that it would be fun to use this wintery fabric. I love the color combination. It was just from a charm pack.



I did know what to do for J. I wanted the quilt to reflect the child in some way. I was stumped then his mother told me that the quilt I made for him when he was a baby had never been quilted and he didn't know that it was his so I could quilt this. I remember piecing this years ago when I lived in Seattle. The pattern is one that I just had to make for him. 

M loves sports and balls and so this fits him. It was a challenge to find the fabric. I found the UNC fabric at a thrift store and have been using that small piece for various things. I wanted Phillies fabric but was not going to pay $80 for a small piece of fabric (it is out of print). B loves orange. I did ask if it is still his favorite color and he said it is. I saw this fabric one day on Stitch Steals and decided it would be perfect for him. I had to search around a bit to find all the fabric that I needed. It is a flannel which I thought would be fun to try. I am not sure I am going to rush out and make another flannel quilt.

Z and D quilt are from a fat quarter bundle that I had. I just used the fabric and arranged it as best I could to make two quilts from it. I did order some dots fabric to add to the quilts. This is a Hoffman fabric which seems fitting.



I knew that the other Miss K's quilt had to be pink. She is as girly as they come and so there had to be pink. My new favorite pattern is the split nine patch. I love it - so easy and yet looks so challenging.

One more to finish and then I also have two pieced for my children that I need to finish.

Next year maybe I will just make each one a napkin -- those are easy. It was fun and it is also great to see how much the children enjoyed their quilts.

 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been busy! My favourite is the wintery one. I like the colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the brown and blue one!! The last girly one is pretty great too. Way to go, Miss Beth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What special gifts! I'm sure it was a lot more work than a napkin, but if they are anything like my kiddos they will appreciate the quilts more than a napkin! :-)
    I love all of them, but since orange is my favorite color and I love flannel...well it's not hard to guess my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...