Thursday, June 13, 2013

The boat that floats

Since we have moved in at the lake, J has been talking about wanting to build a boat. He wanted a boat that would float and would be big enough for him. I will admit that I am not a dreamer. I heard the project and thought you can't do that. You don't have enough time. That is going to cost a lot of money.  I kept my mouth shut. I really did. I didn't say a word. I also didn't rush out to get the things that he needed or wanted.

Thankfully for J his dad is game to let him try things and so he stopped at the lumberyard today and was able to get some scraps of wood for free and bought some nails.

I did decide to at least take pictures. I still wasn't sure it was going to float.

There was hammering that needed to be done. I decided that is good therapy.


And some things needed to be cut a bit.


Some more hammering. I thought it was cute how she was squatting to do this.


The base of the boat was a pallet. Then they added some boards. They took it down to the lake.

It floated. They had even made a paddle to go with it.


Miss K was totally enjoying it. Around 8:30 she wanted to go back for more. She did not want to give her brother a turn.


J enjoyed it. He went out a bit deeper.

It looks like he should be traveling down the Mississippi.

I guess the lesson that I need to learn is to allow my kids to try things. Encourage them to do it. It is good for them to succeed and even to fail at times.

Beth
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Beth, that was a great story! Thanks for sharing and hi to Jack from the Millers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great boat! We should come over since we have a canoe and an inflatable raft. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...