Friday, December 6, 2013

Mexican Fried Rice

Fried Rice is a favorite around here for lunch. It uses up leftovers and gives us a nice lunch. I shared my recipe here. We eat quite a bit of rice and so we often have leftovers through sometimes I make extra rice so we will have leftovers.

Remember the bag of black beans that my friend shared with me. We have been eating them making black bean soup, black bean pumpkin soup, black bean lasagna, black bean enchiladas, and Mexican fried rice. The black bean lasagna was a hit here -- Miss K ate three servings. I am still working on the sauce for my black bean enchiladas.

Tonight I made Mexican Fried Rice. Just like fried rice this is best made with leftover rice. Again, just like Chinese Fried Rice this recipe does have exact proportions.

Leftover cooked rice
black beans
onion (I like red onion)
corn (I didn't have any)
diced tomato
cilantro
pepper (I didn't use any)

Sauce
1/4 cup more or less olive oil
juice of 1 lime
2 to 3 cloves of garlic minced
some chili powder


I added a bit of olive oil to a pan. I don't have a wok but this pan works fine.


I cut some red onion to add to that. Most times when I cook I use brown/yellow onion but in this I do like the red onion.



Then add the black beans. You just want a nice balance of rice and beans.


I cook this till it is hot. The onion might not cook but since it is red onion that is fine. Then add a diced tomato. Again this is all about balance. You could also add pepper, and corn.


Then add the sauce and still. I love the flavor that the lime gives it.

We add a bit of cheese and some avocado.


Miss K said this was her favorite. It does make you feel great knowing that you just made her favorite meal except she says that about just about every meal. She loves life and is excited about so food.


It really is a simple recipe. My whole family loves it.

What is a simple lunch for you?

Beth
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...