Tuesday, July 7, 2015

CursiveLogic - A Review

Handwriting is important to me. I know it is not that popular today but it is something that I wanted J to know how to do and also to do it neatly.  I still have him practice at times. I wondered would it be something that I could teach Miss K. With her special needs, how would I teach her? I want her to learn but would it be possible? I was excited about the opportunity to review CursiveLogic Workbook produced by CursiveLogic.


CursiveLogic is "an intelligent new way to teach cursive." I remember long ago when I was in school learning to write in cursive we did it one letter at a time and copied and wrote that letter and that is the way that I taught J but that was going to be a struggle for Miss K.

CursiveLogic relies on the inherent structure of the cursive alphabet. Letters are grouped by shape and so instead of learning individual letters one at a time, you learn them as a group. Similar letters are taught together at the same time. Letters are also taught as letter strings so you teach the student to join the letters as you are beginning to learn to write. That makes sense to me. Teach the same shape and learn to connect the letters from the beginning.

CursiveLogic also uses both visual and auditory cues. These are great for Miss K. There are theme colours and verbal task analysis.

Orange Oval

The story behind how Linda Shrewsbury developed CursiveLogic was one that inspired me as to give it a try and see if this could be the way to teach Miss K cursive writing. She developed this to help a 23 year old with learning disabilities learn to write his name. I think it is a great program for special needs or learning disabilities.

In many ways this is a simple program which is great for those with special needs or others that just need help or an easy way to learn cursive. We used the workbook and slowly began learning cursive. Miss K didn't get very far in the book but I have to remember that progress is the goal and not completion. She began to learn this and we will keep working on it. Miss K did enjoy working on this  and impressed her brother that she was learning cursive.


This is an easy program to teach. You just need the workbook, which sells for $29.00. The workbook includes both the teacher manual and the student section as well as three dry erase surfaces for practicing.

CursiveLogic Review
Crew Disclaimer

Beth
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...