Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Down Syndrome Awareness Month - My Tour Guide

Maybe you have seen the t-shirt or the printable that says,

"Down Syndrome is a journey I never planned but I sure do love my tour guide. "

That comes from the story, Welcome to Holland by Emily Perl Kingsley. The idea is you plan for one trip and then land in another country. You learn the new language and new things to enjoy. So it is with a special needs child. It is just not what you planned but you learn to love it.



My tour guide keeps me laughing and wondering at times where she comes up with the things she says. This week she told me that grandma said she didn't have to do math. She hasn't talked to grandma for a few days and I can't imagine grandma saying that. 

My tour guide takes a slower pace through life so we pause and see things. We repeat things numerous times until she learns it.

My tour guide has introduced me to new people. I don't think I really knew anyone with Down Syndrome when Miss K was born. It didn't take long to find different people with a brother, nephew, or sister has Down Syndrome. I have met people in the park or the shops and chatted because of Down Syndrome.

My tour guide loves life and shares that love with everyone she meets. She jumps in and have fun. She is not going to sit on the sidelines and watch but live life.


It might not be the tour I planned but it a wonderful tour guide who shows me so much.

Beth
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Love the math comment. :) J told me when he was in school, he got out of English as soon as he could. I got out of Math as soon as I could. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...