Saturday, April 8, 2017

Driving and Living with Perspective

I think I have drive in about 6 different countries. I have taken driving tests in three countries. I am licensed to drive in two countries. If bilingual is able to speak two languages, then is bilane the ability to drive on either side of the road?


To get a driving license here we needed to take both a computer test and then a driving test. Some things are the same such as the shape and colour of the stop sign but others things are all new. My husband and I took driving lessons just to have someone to coach us on what we needed to know for the test. We needed to know how to handle roundabouts, using the mirrors, and other tips for passing.

I was recently talking with a friend who is about to go to the USA for a few weeks. We were talking about driving and she expressed her fear about driving there because it is the other side of the road. I tried to reassure her that is wasn't hard. I told her that to me driving on the other side of the road is not the challenge because you just go with the flow of traffic. Okay, it is a problem if you are in an area where there is no other traffic to follow. Then you need to remember that the driver is always in the centre.

I will also add a bit that here where we live the roads are narrow so at times you don't really drive on either side but rather in the middle. You have to pause and wait for other vehicles to come through.

Back to my driving on the other side of the road. I told her that the challenge for me is that my perspective is off. I don't have a feel of the passenger's side of the car. Thankfully the pedals for gas and brake are in the same placement. I have reached to shift and it wasn't there because it was on the other side. Having the sense of where the side/wing mirror is can be a challenge.

When my perspective is off, I can feel a bit nervous, maybe a bit fearful, and uncertain. I think the same is true if our spiritual lives. We need to have an eternal perspective. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that life is all about the here and now. Life is about eternity. When we have an eternal perspective, then we see our suffering as just temporary. When we have an eternal perspective, we view life now different.

So live with an eternal perspective. 

Beth
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...