Monday, July 2, 2012

Blueberry Jam

I made blueberry jam the other week. I keep meaning to take a picture of the jam neatly spread on the bread but I eat it before I have time to take a picture. I could take a picture of the container but at this point there is so little left you could barely tell what it was. I am not a big jam person so just the fact that I eat it must say something about the taste.

So in case you want to make some that won't last long enough for a picture, here is the recipe.

5 cups blueberries

1/2 cup sugar

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (I just used the bottle that I have in the refrigerator)

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (I just used the salt in the cabinet)

In a medium saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Mash with a potato masher or wooden spoon until the berries have released their juices. (11 year old boys do a great job at this part)

Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened, 18 to 25 minutes. Transfer to containers and refrigerate for up to 1 month (I doubt it will last that long) or freeze up to 1 year.

Tip: This recipe can also be made with two 10-ounce bas of frozen blueberries instead of fresh. Cook the frozen berries for 2 to 3 minutes before mashing, then reduce the total cooking time to 15 to 17 minutes.

I tore this page out of an old Real Simple Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...