Thursday, September 13, 2012

Teaching Reading

Last year Miss K and I worked our way through Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. We finished the book. Miss K has a long list of words that she is able to sight read which is good but I just felt that she wasn't really sounding out words and understanding how to do that. Thanks to LeapFrog Fridge Phonics she has learned  her sounds. She has begun to read books but most of those are using all the sight words she knows. She is doing great at reading Biscuit books and a few others.

I had Scaredy Cat reading system on my shelf and decided it was time to use that. I have Letters, Vowels, and Words. Since she has  her sounds down, we jumped right to Vowels. I think this is something new for her. We are learning the vowels; she did an activity circling the vowels. It is fun to see her apply this when we are out and about. She was trying to read the Fred Meyer sign. She did say that e was a vowel.

Scaredy Cat has a number of ideas for making this a multi-sensory  approach. One of the ideas was a cornmeal tray. I didn't have cornmeal but had a can of hot chocolate powder that I wasn't sure how old it was so I decided to use that which was so much better than cornmeal. When you do a good job, you are allowed to lick your finger. Just what my chocolate loving girl wants to do.



As we have been working through this program I do see progress. We have learned our vowels and now she is working on the scared vowel sounds. She is sounding out words which is one of the goals for phonics this year.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...