Friday, November 1, 2013

Reformation Day



We jumped ahead in history today. I decided that Reformation Day is one day when we talk about the Reformation and those involved in the Reformation. I found a number of resources online including Living and Learning at Home Reformation Day Celebration.  I liked this Reformation Day Unit on Homeschool Share. I decided to save that till we get to Luther in our history this year and then do some of this. I have a number of books by Louise Vernon but they are in a box so we will save them for sometime.

We did this in place of our history reading.

We talked about how in Luther's day the church was selling indulgences. We tossed coins in the coffer.


I told them about  the couplet that is attributed to John Tetzel, "As soon as a coin in the coffer rings / the soul from purgatory springs."


Then we nailed the 95 Theses on the door. When we used tape and not nails.


They were blindfolded just to make it a bit fun. I was surprised that Miss K would wear the blindfold.


We talked about the Sola's and then ended our time singing "A Mighty Fortress is Our God." My husband even played the piano for us. He doesn't play often but I do enjoy hearing him play when he does. He told me he doesn't have any piano music here and I should look for some at the thrift store.


We celebrated and remember those men years ago who fought for and taught the truth of God's Word.

Did your family celebrate or remember Reformation Day?

Beth
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. We're impressed. We recently told our kids the differences between Catholics & Protestants after being around our Catholic pro-life friends.:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...