Monday, January 6, 2014

Lentil Challenge -- We did it.



Remember the 10 pound bag of lentils that I purchased. That became the Lentil Challenge. I purchased that bag the beginning of October and we ate a number of lentil meals.

Look what happened today -- we finished the bag.



For a long time our favorite dish was the first one that I made, Lentil and Spinanch Dhansak. The other day I made lentils and brown rice taco style and that might be the favorite.

I finished the bag today with a Spicy Thai Curried Lentils, it is pinned on my main dishes on Pinterest. It was not our favorite. I loved Thai food and especially curry which probably comes from having lived in Thailand. This was disappointing.

I have found so many more good recipes that I would like to try. I have a number of recipes pinned and waiting to try.

Here is one more recipe that I would like to try.

Moroccan Lentil Soup

2 tsp cooking oil
1 cup chopped onion

2 tsp finely grated ginger root
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 bay leave
1/8 tsp salt

6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup dried green lentils
1 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup diced celery

1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1 tsp grated lemon zest

Heat cooking oil in large saucepan on medium. Add onion. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until softened.

Add next 7 ingredients. Heat and stir for about 1 minute until fragrant.

Add next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until lentils are very soft. Discard bay lef.

Add remaining 3 ingredients. Stir Makes about 7 cups

1 cup 151 calories
2.2 g total fat (0.8 Mon, 0.6g Poly, 0.6g Sat)
0 mg Cholesterol
24 g Carbohydrates
4 g fiber
10 g protein
808 mg sodium


Here are my other posts regarding the Lentil challenge.

Lentil Challenge
Lentil Challenge - More-With-Less
Lentil Challenge - Lentils & Rice Taco Style
Lentil Challenge - Lentil Soup

Have you ever cooked with lentils?

Beth
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...