Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Chinese Dumplings



I love Chinese food which is a good thing since I lived in Asia for so many years. I will admit that for a long time if we wanted Chinese food we just went out to eat. Near our apartment there were lots and lots of little restaurants. I didn't cook Chinese food at home.

One of my favorite things to eat was dumplings, jiaozi. Dumplings were a cheap lunch when I was working there. Just down the street from the office was a dumpling stand. On the sidewalk they had some carts that had boiling water for boiled dumplings, shuijiao and two places to fry the dumplings. At a small table was a bowl full of dumpling filling and usually grandma and another lady would sit and make dumplings.

For about 50 cents I could get 10 dumplings and if I wanted I could add a bowl of sweet and sour soup for about 30 cents.




One of my friends taught me how to make dumplings gave me her recipe.

2 pounds ground pork
medium head of cabbage finely chopped
2” piece of ginger finely chopped
2 inches of green onion finely chopped
6 tablespoons soy sauce
2-3 tablespoons sugar


Chop the cabbage as small as possible. Sprinkle some salt on it and let sit for at least 10 minutes. 

Slice the green onion and chop the ginger.



Stir-fry the green onion and chopped ginger in a bit of oil until golden brown. Turn off the heat add 6 tablespoons soy sauce and 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar.

Add to the meat mixture. Then squeeze the water from the cabbage and mix thoroughly with the meat.

Put in wrappers. I have bought my wrappers at Chinese grocery stores or you could make your own. 

To boil – bring a pan of water to boiling and then boil then they float and allow to float for 3 minutes.


Fry – heat a small amount of oil in a pan, add the dumplings, fry on one side and then the other. Add about 1 tablespoon of water, cover and allow to evaporate.

Serve with a bit of soy sauce to dip them into. 

This makes about 60 to 80 dumplings. I will often just freeze them and use them later for lunch. Just cook frozen allowing an extra minute or two. 

This is one of our favorite Chinese recipes and one that reminds us of our time in Asia.

I am linking this with www.benandme recipe round-up.

Beth
Pin It


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe! My daughter is fascinated with China! I haven't attempted any Chinese cooking with her yet, but some day I'm sure she will want to :) I'm pinning this recipe for when that time comes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum. What kind of wrapper recipe am j looking for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually buy my wrappers but here is a basic recipe.
      All purpose flour, 4cups
      Water, 1.8 cup
      Salt, 1/3 teaspoon

      Delete
  3. Yum! I used to like the boiled dumplings, but these days, I'm leaning towards the fried ones (guotie) or wontons. Stop on by and share this recipe with us on Five Friday Finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're featured this week as the most popular recipe! Hope you can make it again this week. :)

      Delete
  4. I made these last night and they were a hit at our house. I had a bit of trouble with the boiling (likely my folding job not being good enough and it coming apart) so we went with frying. Super popular and the first thing my mom has asked for seconds for since she had surgery! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you enjoyed there. It does take a bit of practice to get them folded.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...