Saturday, March 8, 2014

Week in Review - March 7, 2014

We are marching through March. Bob came in excited today that he found a daffodil. The promise that spring is coming.



My husband is out of town this week and so the challenge is to keep school routine, the house clean, and eat meals that are not frozen fish sticks. I think I have fed them some good meals this week only fish sticks once and that was for lunch.

We are moving through the Middle Ages and this week read about Marco Polo, Sir William Wallace & Robert Bruce, Dante Alighieri, and the The Aztecs. After reading about Sir William Wallace and Scotland we had to have a tea cake. I did ask Bob what side he was on. He decided Scotland because Carolyn is from Scotland and Carolyn likes Nutella and shares the Nutella with him when we stay there. All part of his plan to get Nutella on his bread.

We moved to north Africa in Geography. This week it was Sudan including a bit about South Sudan. Did you know that the ancient name of Sudan was Kush?

Bob had art class this week. They are working on Seuss inspired artwork and there will be a prize of a gift bag of art supplies so he is working on his drawing. I received a nice note from the teacher, "You have a special son. It was a pleasure having him in class." It is encouraging getting notes like that.

We have not had math wars this week. Since I have written in the past about math wars, I thought I should report that this week there is math peace. We have found a way that is working right now. He does his lesson and all the problems he can and then sits down with me and together we grade it and review/re-do the problems he got wrong.

Bob read The Rescuers this week. He shared how the book is different from the movie. He did say that he liked the book better. He also told me that he was surprised that the book didn't win any awards as he thought it should have.

I found Miss K on the sofa reading Henry and Mudge. She is still at the stage of reading aloud so it is fun to listen to her read. I do have to find a way to get her to stop skipping the little words.


Miss K finished her Explode the Code 1 1/2 book today. She was quite pleased to finish the book. I like Explode the Code for phonics reinforcement. I think Miss K also does good with workbooks. She can see what needs to be done and do it.


This evening we had to go downtown and we found this glass artwork by Dale Chihuly.


That about wraps up our week. I am not sure what we have planned for the weekend. I have a few projects that I would like to work on but we will see what happens.

Do you have any signs of spring?

Beth
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...