Saturday, May 31, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up May 30, 2014

It is hard to believe that it is the end of May already. We got back into our school routine this week though the schools here are on half-term break. (I really do need to learn the school schedule just a bit so I am aware of what is happening around me. I might follow their schedule a bit more.) We are slowly finishing some books and then will transition to summer learning. School doesn't get out here until the middle of July.

We have a few more myths to finish and then we will finish the pockets that we started. We now have a printer so it will be easier to finish these. I wrote about the resources that we have used for Greek Myths, here.


We are working through Europe geography. We try to have a review time once or twice a week. We put the Europe GeoPuzzle together.


We played a quick review game covering all the countries we have studied. I grabbed a piece of cardboard from all the boxes we have. It was not a very planned activity. Just grab and see what we can create.  Bob wrote the country names. Then we answered various questions based on where we landed.


Bob did finish Editor in Chief book this week. This has been good for practicing proofreading grammar and punctuation errors. We began the book in the fall and it was a struggle for him to find the errors. I would often give him a cheat sheet that told what errors to be looking for. I put it away for a few months and recently got it out again. He improved so much; I was impressed. I asked him this thoughts after completing the book. It was interesting to hear what he had to say. He said it was easy to see improvement and it was a bit of a challenge but not too much. It helped to see mistakes. I was pleased with his self-assessment.

Miss K is slowly working through her books. I doubt that we will finish. Most likely we will just keep going. I am trying to be consistent with doing some therapy activities. I have a box or two of resources and lots of ideas from Pinterest. I have a column in my planner to use so hopefully that will be part of our day. This week one of the activities that she worked on was untangling the carabiners. I found some of these in a discount bin at the Grand Canyon, some on the giveaway table, and some from sunscreen containers.


The tongue out is a sign that she is working hard. This was a bit harder for her than I thought it would be but she stuck with it and did it.

Sometimes it is good to put things away and try them later. This dot-to-dot book is another example of something I put away. It is surprising the improvement that I see now. She is working on it.



We are still looking for a car and so we are learning to use the bus. Thankfully a bus stop is just around the corner. We were heading out for some Thai food.



We have enjoyed getting to know the neighbours. The kids have played with others on our street.

That wraps up our week and I have recorded our month's activities in my portfolio summary. I need to support a summary by the beginning of July of what we have done this year. Our organisation requires us to do this.
 

Beth
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. My girls love Greek myths especially my youngest. Thanks for the reminder to put things away and bring them back later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look into Editor in Chief. My oldest has has writing struggles but does well with those sorts of activities. We've used Daily Grams in the past. What I do is tell him how many errors to look for.
    I think you are so right about putting things away and then bringing them back out. I so often put things up in frustration and then forget about them. Thanks for the reminder.
    Glad you're getting settled into the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great week. I love all of your photos, especially the one where your daughter is hard at work. That tongue out is SO cute. I love your spur-of-the-moment game. Sometimes they are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great week! And it looks as if you are settling in well to your new country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both my boys have used Caught Ya! (at school) for grammar and punctuation practice. I don't know if it is something you could find. It is a wacky story with lots of errors for them to find.

    I hope you find an auto soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that thinking tongue! Two of mine do that, as well as my husband! It's adorable. I love the geography game idea. What a resourceful mom!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...